The GROW Method just launched today!
You should check out the facebook app or the pinterest page!
The GROW Method is the next step in the GROW campaign here at Oxfam. The idea behind it is that there are certain things that we can do in our everyday lives that can help us all work towards a world with no hunger. These are easy things that anyone can do even if you don’t have much time. They are:
- Save Food – This can be done through saving your left overs or planning you meals for the week so your food doesn’t spoil.
- Support – Local farmers and fair trade products.
- Cook Smart – There are ways that you can save energy, water, and time by cooking smart. If you get a bamboo steamer and cook your veggies while you’re boiling rice, pasta, or potatoes. You can also try new recipes that don’t require you to use the oven or stove – this is especially nice during not summer days, when you don’t want your house to get even hotter!
- Shop Seasonal – Seasonal items are usually the cheapest and most fresh, if you shop at a farmers market, you don’t even need to think about what’s seasonal, whatever is there is in season.
- East less meat – This is one that people seem to have a lot of trouble with, but it doesn’t mean you can never have a cheese burger again, it simply means that you should try to limit you meat intake. This isn’t only good for the environment (because on the large amount of greenhouse gasses produced in the production and transport of meat) it’s also great for your health and long as you replace your protein intake with beans or nuts (if you’re interested in why check out the film Forks Over Knives)
I plan on trying a few GROW Method changes, I already don’t eat much meat, but I might try cooking with a bamboo steamer or even some new recipes that don’t require cooking. I’ll let you know how it goes. 🙂
Leave a Reply
<< Older Entries